Info for UT Austin Students | University Extension | The University of Texas at Austin
Winter Weather Closure
Due to ongoing severe winter weather, all UT Austin classes and programs have been canceled for Tuesday, January 31 and Wednesday, February 1. Information about plans for rescheduling classes and programs will be shared with those affected.
Stay Up to Date

Info for UT Austin Students

Info for UT Austin Students

Current UT Austin students can take University Extension courses in order to stay on track for graduation, complete prerequisites, or add more flexibility to their schedule.  Consult your academic advisor if you want to apply a University Extension course to your UT Austin degree.

Graphic image of a checklist

Course Credit and Transcripts

University Extension course grades are recorded automatically on your UT Austin transcript. Semester-based courses record as Extension credit, and self-paced online courses record as Correspondence credit. Neither type counts as "in-residence."

Icon of a gavel on a piece of paper


  • University Extension course grades count in your cumulative (not semester) UT Austin GPA.
  • A grade of Q in a University Extension course does not count against the allowed drop limit.
Icon of an orange button with a question mark inside

Financial Aid

  • University Extension courses are not included in flat-rate tuition.
  • Students may not use their financial aid award toward any self-paced online courses.

In most cases, University Extension’s semester courses can count toward your full course load certification for financial aid and similar certifications as long as you meet the required minimum daytime enrollment hours and are making satisfactory academic progress as determined by the Office of Financial Aid. If approved, students typically pay for their University Extension course and bring their receipt to Financial Aid, which will then reimburse students out of their award. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

Icon with a checklist

Registration & Course Schedules

  • You may register for self-paced online courses anytime. This can be a good option for students looking to take a class mid-semester or in between terms.
  • Meeting dates for semester-based courses vary, although common administrative deadlines apply. See individual course descriptions and the Calendar for details.
Graphic Icon of Three Flags

Course Flags

If the University Extension section of a course fulfills a Flag, it will be noted on the course schedule and in the course description. Upon successful completion of the course, you will automatically receive Flag credit on your student record.

For courses that do not carry a Flag but that appear to meet the requirements, students may submit a petition to Undergraduate Studies to have the course considered for Flag credit. Unless the Flag is noted in the course description, students should not assume a course meets a Flag requirement without first submitting a petition and/or speaking with a Flags Advisor.

Illustation of Virtual Advising

Work with an Advisor

It is always a good idea to consult your academic advisor before registering.

You are also welcome to contact UEX's academic advisor for guidance.

Concurrent Enrollment

Some UT Austin colleges and schools require approval for their students to be simultaneously enrolled with University Extension. UT Austin students who register for University Extension courses without the required approvals will be dropped from their course(s) and will remain responsible for processing and related fees.

If you are or will be a graduating senior in your final semester, we strongly encourage you to contact an advisor in your college prior to enrolling with University Extension. Often, there are specific deadlines for when a grade must be recorded on your transcript in order to support graduation application processing. Some colleges, also, have restrictions on concurrent enrollment in your final semester.

Concurrent Enrollment Petitions and Approval Procedures:

The Colleges of Liberal Arts, Education, and Natural Sciences currently do not require prior approval. However, all students are strongly encouraged to speak with an academic advisor prior to enrollment.

Graduate students are permitted to count up to six total hours of University Extension credit in their programs of work only if they have the proper forms signed by their advisors and the graduate dean. Graduate students may take courses with undergraduate numbers, but those courses will not count for their program of work and will not qualify for financial aid except in rare circumstances and with special permission from the sponsoring department and the Graduate School.