Photo of a college student using a laptop

How to Enroll

Online Registration

University Extension courses are open enrollment, so you don't have to apply for admission to take them and earn credit from UT Austin. 

To register:

  1. Add any course to your shopping cart.
  2. Click on the "Check Out" button in the upper, right-hand corner of your screen.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions.
  4. Pay online with a credit card, or select another payment option.
  5. Agree to pay all course fees and observe all policies.
  6. Once payment is received, an email receipt will be provided.

If you are a first-time University Extension student who has never received a UT EID, you will create your UT EID and password as the first step in the online registration process.

Once you submit a registration, you have agreed to pay all course fees and to observe all policies. Once payment is received, an email receipt will be provided. If you do not receive a receipt, or if you have any questions about registration, please call 512-471-2900.

Eligibility and Enrollment Approvals

Some courses and programs require you to obtain approval to enroll.  If applicable, these restrictions are outlined in the course description. If approval is not received, you will be dropped and charged an administrative fee.

Current UT Austin students, depending on their college and status, may have additional enrollment restrictions.  Please see Information for UT Austin Students for more information, or speak with your college advisor. Students on active scholastic or disciplinary dismissal from The University of Texas at Austin may enroll in self-paced courses only.

Prerequisite requirements are listed in the course description. Prerequisites for math, science, and all semester-based courses are strictly enforced. If you do not provide documentation to demonstrate that you have satisfied a prerequisite, you will be withdrawn without a refund. Prerequisite listings for all other self-paced courses are representative of the level of prior work and understanding necessary to succeed in the course, but documentation will not be collected.

Courses may be taken for high school dual credit with appropriate signatures. See Forms.

International Students

Since University Extension does not offer degrees, enrollment in Extension classes alone will not qualify you to reside in the U.S. on a student visa. If you also attend UT Austin while on a student visa, you must receive approval from Texas Global (formerly called UT's International Office) before enrolling in Extension courses. You are responsible for monitoring your visa status. 

Auditing a Course

Students who wish to audit a course are subject to the regular course fee. Courses taken on an audit or non-credit basis will not be recorded on a transcript. Changing to or from an “audit” status is not allowed past the first day of the semester.

Texas Success Initiative (TSI)

The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) is a state-legislated program designed to improve students’ success in college. All students enrolling for academic credit at any Texas public college or university must pass the TSI Assessment, which is a basic skills assessment in mathematics, reading and writing, or meet one of the exemptions listed below. TSI regulations do not apply to students who register on an Audit or No Credit basis.

You are exempt from TSI if you:

  • are a non-degree seeking or non-certificate seeking student.
  • have a bachelor’s degree or associate’s degree.
  • have satisfactorily completed college-level coursework at an accredited institution of higher education.
  • have previously attended any Texas public institution and have been determined to have met readiness standards by that institution.
  • have served on active military duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Texas National Guard or as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States for at least three years.
  • were honorably discharged, retired or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas National Guard or service as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States on or after August 1, 1990.
  • took the SAT I less than 5 years ago and made a qualifying score of 1070 total, with 500 verbal and/or 500 math.
  • took the ACT less than 5 years ago and made a qualifying score of 23 composite, with 19 English and/or 19 math.
  • took the TAKS test less than 5 years ago and made a minimum score of 2200 on the math, which exempts you from the math section; and/or a minimum score of 2200 on the English Language Arts section with a writing subsection score of at least 3, which exempts you from the reading and writing sections.
  • took the STAAR exam with a minimum score of Level 2 on the English III End-of-Course for reading and writing and a minimum score of Level 2 on the Algebra II End-of-Course for math.

If documentation is required to support your TSI exemption and is not provided at registration, office staff will contact you via email to collect that information. Official documentation, such as a diploma or transcript from an accredited institution, must be provided by the date listed in the calendar for the semester. We cannot make exceptions to this date. No refunds will be given if you register and are withdrawn because you fail to provide official TSI documentation. If you are unsure of your TSI status, contact the University Extension office. Information about the TSI Assessment may also be obtained from the Texas Success Initiative office.

Change of Personal Information

University Extension must have your correct email address, physical mailing address and telephone number. Official correspondence is sent to the most recent email address you provide. If you change your email address and fail to update your information, you are not relieved of responsibilities on the grounds that the correspondence was not delivered.

To update your email or physical mailing address, go to

University policy is to maintain educational records under your full, legal name. You may change the name on your permanent academic record by presenting a certified copy of the appropriate documentation to the Registrar at the University of Texas. To change your name, you must present a notarized request and a copy of the signed court order showing your new legal name. To assume your spouse’s name following marriage, you must present a notarized request and a copy of the marriage certificate. If you wish to discontinue use of a married name and resume use of the original family name or another name, you must present a divorce decree or a signed court order showing restoration of the original or other name. Correcting the spelling or the proper sequence of your name requires a copy of your birth certificate.